Friday, August 6, 2010

BEDA #6: Savannah Adventures

So I figured I'd at least start this blog post now, even though it's only 3:45, so that I don't have to freak out if I come back to the hotel late tonight. Why would I be out past midnight, you ask? Well.. you'll find out tomorrow at the latest =P

Today, we got out of the hotel at about 11, and we walked out to City Market (I found out that's the name of the square where we got Gelato last night) and browsed the shops until our trolley came. We registered for a trolley tour, which was really cool and cute. The only problem? No AC in the trolleys. ARG!
I swear, it's 100 degrees today in Savannah. Not kidding.

But anyway, we took the trolley tour for a couple stops, then got off near one of the museums. The Jepson Center for the Arts had this really cool exhibit of pictures taken of the city of Paris from 1928-1939 or s
o, and it was so cool to see other parts of Paris besides the super-touristy ones that I've been to. A lot of is was very surrealist and I really enjoyed most of the pictures. There was this one of the Eiffel Tower amid a storm, with an enormous bolt of lightening in the sky behind it. It was pretty powerful.

We then got back on the trolley, sat through a couple more stops, and then got off for lunch at this place called The Pirate House, where, as our trolley driver told us as we pulled up, actual pirates would steal men for their ships. It was pretty cool, sitting and eating where real pirates had been. There was this joke sign up in the lobby that was a wanted poster for Captain Jac
k Sparrow. It amused me.

Back on the trolley we went and it took us by the riverwalk, where we'll spend a lot of time tomorrow, and then we got off near our hotel. So back at our hotel we are, taking a much needed break before we head down to the riverwalk to kill time before our next tour, which I don't want to talk about until after it's over because I'm too excited for it =]

Later!

So I'm back from our second tour, ready to talk about what happened after the last time I wrote:

We left the hotel to go around the area just past City Market to go shopping. We found this really cool imports store where my mom bought a 100% silk scarf and it was really beautiful. They had so many elephants! I got super excited.

We went into a kitchen store where I found these adorable tiny pink elephant salt and pepper shakers and they were just so cute (and cheap!) that my mom bought them for me. They were just too perfect.

We went into Urban Outfitters and I got a sweater on sale for the fall, and I'm super excited about it. I like sweaters a little too much...

Then we went out to a tapas restaurant for a dinner a little later than usual, since our lunch at the Pirate House was so late in the afternoon. I had a wonderful chicken caesar salad and helped my dad out with his tiny hamburgers (there were two. It even came with the tiniest bottle of ketchup I've ever seen. It was adorable). I finished off the meal with cannoli, which I haven't had in a long time, and then we went back to change out of our nice clothes and headed down to River St.

Once there, we climbed onto a bus that said this:


That's right! I went on my first ghost tour! I'm sorry if I got your hopes up for something you might view as cooler, but I was super stoked. I watch all those dumb ghost shows on SyFy and the Travel Channel, so I wanted to go on one. Our tour guide was really good (and I loved her 20s inspired costume!) and I couldn't help wondering if she was a theatre major or graduate...?

Anyway, the stories were awesome, gruesome, and some just plain sad. Who knew that Savannah had so much violence in its history? It's been named one of the most haunted cities in the United States by the Travel Channel or the Discovery Channel or something. I don't know. But it was super cool.

As soon as we got off the bus after the tour was over, the lightening storm in the horizon turned into a legit downpour and we got SOAKED coming back to our hotel. The wind off the river turned my umbrella inside out so I just gave up on it and we got super wet.

Hooray for showers to get the nasty sand off your skin.

That's it for me. 29 minutes to spare!

Till tomorrow!

HPRT: My dad saw this picture before I did, but he called over to me at the Paris exhibit and told me to look at this one picture. It was the house of Nicolas Flamel. TOO COOL!
Current Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Current Song: Georgia by Ray Charles (thank you, trolley tour xD)

No comments:

Post a Comment