Wednesday, August 18, 2010

BEDA #17: Back to the grind stone.

So blogger is being dumb and not letting me change the font. Grr.

Well, my day was suuuuper long and slightly frustrating. I woke up at 6:30, which made me very unhappy, but I was surprisingly full of energy for the extreme lack of sleep I received. I had Ballet first, in which we did not dance, but we went over the syllabus and then got out early. Jeri seems super cool, but intense, so I'm really looking forward to her classes =]

I then scoped out Davis Hall for my math classroom before chilling in the Green Room for a bit. Then I had my Japanese class, which is kind of (REALLY) intimidating. I'm nooooot looking forward to the oral exams. I'm actually really scared. AHH. And then I found out while sitting in class that I bought the wrong textbook and workbook for that class. I accidentally bought the one for Elem. Japanese II, not I. SOOOO I have to go to the bookstore to find out if I can just exchange them for the correct ones. I've never used either of them, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem, but you never know when the bookstore is gonna be totally jerk-offish.

My math class was next, and we had... an interesting time xD Basically I got to my classroom on time, sat down, and we waited. And waited. Soon it was 20 minutes after the class was supposed to start, when the professor finally showed up, he told us that our class had to be converted from a web-based class to a regular lecture style class, because the university didn't have a single free computer lab for us to hold our class in. So because of that, they have to find a professor to teach it. WEIRD. So we were out of there five minutes later. Totally easy day.

I stopped by Au Bon Pain to get a yogurt before heading back to the theatre for lunch. At 1pm I headed over to the Science Center for my Concepts of Science class. It's my first super big, huge lecture style class of college, so it was weird to see so many people in one room together staring at the huge projector at the front. My professor is this German dude, with really good English, so understanding him is not a problem, but I wasn't expecting him to have an accent. It's kind of cute. And he's funny. He actually had us laughing a couple times to break the ice. Even though tests and such are going to suck, I think I'll have fun listening to him talk (even though, I'll admit, I totally didn't listen to him a couple times. The topics are just so dumb).

I was done for the day, but was going to stay to go to the ice cream social at 5, so I headed, yet again, back to the theatre. I wanted to pick up my paperwork for my costume shop job, but the secretary WASN'T THERE all afternoon, so that was a no-go, which made me sad. But I hung out in the green room until Kelly C. got out of Costume Construction. We went back to her dorm and I had some of her lovely oatmeal chocolate chip cookies before we drove back to to the theatre for the social.

The chair of our department, Dan, gave this really wonderful speech reminding us all that to be a great artist you also have to be a great person, and that people at their best in their careers are also at their best as people, which I completely agree with. I was really touched by his words, and I personally think that his goal to finally have a speech at the beginning of the year that stuck with people was met today. I'm considering going up to his office tomorrow to tell him so myself, because I really have to agree. It doesn't cost a person anything to be kind to another human being, and when you're happy as a person, it really shows in your work. I'm just so glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way. Plus, it was an eloquent reminder to cut the stupid behavior crap.

All in all, it was a long, tiresome day. Three new classes and voice lesson tomorrow. Keep you posted.

Till tomorrow.

HPRT: Kelly's status today was priceless: "Back to witches and wizards and magical....wait. Dammit! Back to singing and dancing and sweat in this HEAT!"
Current Book: Same. I don't feel like typing it out.
Current Song: No Way from AVPS

No comments:

Post a Comment