Wednesday, August 25, 2010

BEDA #24: Rest in Awesome, Esther Earl.

Today a lot of crappy things happened. One of them was my math professor changing again to someone I can't understand at all. But probably the most important was that at 3am this morning, Esther Earl, 16 year old nerdfighter and overall inspiring individual, passed. All day I've read tweets and watched youtube videos from countless people paying tribute to this wonderful girl.

From what little exposure to her life story and her personality I've had, I could tell that she was much, much more than a girl with cancer. She was an amazing person full of life and and love. She had such a passion for life and for those with whom she was close, it breaks my heart to see her family and friends mourn her loss. Even I, who did not know her personally at all, have found my thoughts straying to her all day. I was horribly depressed when I woke up and read on her website that she had gone. This depression lasted through the day, and probably made me even more upset about my math class than I would have on a normal occasion. As I was walking up the hill to the theatre, I thought about what I had read last night. She was planning on dropping out of high school to work on getting her GED so that she could stay at home and get better. Just two days ago, she was tweeting about the funny moments she'd just shared with her mother and sisters. I walked up that hill on my college campus and I just couldn't believe that she would never get the chance to go to college, to move away from home and use her amazing energy to work toward her future.

Just as my depression had hit its worst, it hit me. Esther would be ashamed if we dwelled on all the things she would miss out on in life. As Matt Maggiacomo said in his blog post today, she understood her humanity, her mortality. She knew that she was horribly sick, and she accepted this fact. She kept loving and shining, even through her darkest moments. She would never want us to stop living simply because she had gone on. We have to live in her memory, actively practicing the inspirational lessons she taught the world: stay close to your family. Live life to its fullest. Never stop loving and giving. And most importantly, never forget to be awesome.

Thank you so much Esther Earl for your incredible gift to nerdfighteria.

Till tomorrow.

HPRT: I've been listening to Ministry of Magic and Harry and the Potter's songs entitled "Phoenix Lament" and "Phoenix Song" all day. They both start off mournful but end hopeful. I can't help but realize that these songs correspond to life lessons that Esther taught us all. Life throws events our way that seem unbearable. But we must fight on despite these difficulties. In the words of Harry and the Potters, "It's we who will decide when to stop the fight and get on with our lives."
Current Book: The Sciences
Current Song: Phoenix Song by Harry and the Potters

No comments:

Post a Comment