Wednesday, August 11, 2010

BEDA #11: The wonders of time...

Well, today is the official one month mark until my 19th birthday. It's a little bit strange to think how time passes so quickly when you're young. I literally feel like it was just yesterday that I was walking to the school bus stop on Tottenham Road so I could meet Meredith at school or going into gym class with Emily, Maggie and Mimi (whom I miss dearly. Come back to the states!). I almost can't believe that I'm already a sophomore in college and that I have to go back to the grind stone in just one week from today. Where did the summer go?

Time is such a strange invention, if you can call it that. The concept of time has far too many branches and theories to ever sort through them all, and I don't plan on doing that, but it's just such a weird thing to conceptualize. How is it that the moments we wish would last forever appear to go by the quickest? This summer has quite possibly been the best of my life. Between going to ACen with Meredith, taking two classes this summer that I actually really enjoyed and learned so much in, reading one of my favorite book series in its entirety, going to all four Disney parks for the first time in my life, experiencing life-altering moments with the HP Alliance, Team Starkid and my favorite wizard rockers, and finally getting accepted to Hogwarts... It's been quite a journey.

I've been thinking about it all a lot the last few days since my summer is coming to a close. I can only be grateful that modern technology allowed me to document those events, because memories just aren't enough sometimes. Time can finally stand somewhat still, or at least be captured forever to be replayed again and again. These events will never die. It's truly just like how Harry puts it at the end of A Very Potter Sequel:

*"They're gonna try to tell me that this wasn't real, that none of this happened, but you know what? It was real, and it did happen. We spent time here, we made friends here, and that's a part of us. Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it's bigger than any of its founders. It's gonna be around long after we're gone. Maybe we'll see our kids come here. That's the thing about Hogwarts. No matter how long you're away from it, there's always a we to get back."

If you take away the specifics to Hogwarts and insert just about anything, it still stands true. Memories are bigger than just its components. They become a part of who we are and they stay with us, affecting our lives for as long as we have them. And I for one will be forever grateful for the experiences I've had this summer. I will never forget them or who was involved, and I will carry them with me for as long as time still passes.

Till tomorrow.

HPRT: *
Current Book: City of Bones by Cassondra Clare
Current Song: To Have a Home by Darren Criss (from AVPS)

No comments:

Post a Comment