Friday, April 22, 2011

BEDA Day 22

Do any of you believe in ghosts?

Typically I haven't been a believer myself, but there's a certain amount of superstition that surrounds the theatre that causes even skeptics like myself to not only acknowledge the potential of the existence of ghosts, but even defend their presence.

My high school in New York has a ghost living in the vent in the back of house right named James. My friend Jasmine feels the presence of ghosts and stuff, and she used to tell us when James was angry or upset for some reason. It's funny, because even though I don't really believe in ghosts, I never once doubted her authority or the existence of James.

In our theatre here in Auburn, our ghost is Sidney. It's the stage manager's job to always make a peace offering on opening night of every show by leaving candy, usually Peanut M&Ms, in the catwalks. We always joke about how when anything goes wrong during rehearsal or a performance, it's Sidney's fault. "Oh, Sidney must be angry!"

And it's really funny how we defend him and his integrity. Fred, our Production Stage Manager, was outside the costume shop one day close to the end of the school day, when these two people came in to the building. They asked him a whole bunch of questions regarding the building, and somehow they got on the topic of Sidney. They honestly looked at him like he was crazy and proceeded to say that Sidney was a demon, and by allowing him into our theatre we were accepting the devil into our presence.

... O_o

Like, wtf? Why would anyone say that? When I heard that story for the first time, I got so mad!! How DARE anyone abuse the good name of Sidney!

Anyway, I bring this up because today I was in the library all afternoon working on my last Theatre History assignment, and I walked into the bathroom, and as I was about to enter a stall, I heard this ridiculous creaking noise that freaked me the eff out! I wouldn't at all be surprised if the library was haunted, too xD

In any case, I'm watching Fringe and about to hang out with some friends from high school whom I haven't spend a lick of time with all semester/year, so I'm really excited about that. Tell me your ghost stories in the comments if you have any, and I hope you all have wonderful Fridays!

HPRT: These guys from our theatre made their own wands from sticks they picked up, and I found out from my friend I'm hanging out with later that she and her friend did the EXACT SAME THING today. I should totally make my own wand xD
Current Book: N/A
Current Song: Undisclosed Desires by Muse. I've been on a huge Muse kick since yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment