Sunday, April 11, 2010

NaNoWriMo Woes

Ok, I realize that it's no where NEAR November, so why am I even thinking about NaNoWriMo??

Well, part of it has to do with the fact that I've had the new ALL CAPS album, Bmin/E, on repeat for the last week, so I keep listening to the NaNoWriMo song, which in turn revives unpleasant memories of my first and so far only participation in the writing competition last year.

I've had this great story idea since about 10th grade, but never acted on it until this past fall, my freshman year of college (partially because I had no time to even think about it my junior or senior years of high school). I wrote about two pages of it as a part of an application to the St. Lawrence University Young Writers' Conference, which I was accepted to for the fall of my junior year. Since then, the entire background of the story has been revamped and recreated, but the basic concept is still the same in my mind.

I guess the reason I'm so upset right now about this is not the fact that I failed NaNoWriMo miserably (although I find that 8,109 words is pretty good for a first try, but that could just be me), but rather the fact that I really, truly love the story idea and have since not had the opportunity to work on it. Spring semester has been ridiculously busy, what with working crew for the musical for the first two months of 2010, constant rehearsals for the huge benefit concert that goes up at the end of this month, my first real acting class that's so far really challenged me to make myself into a better actor, and the multitude of responsibilities that is just a natural part of college.

My freshman year has been a true challenge, one that I've really embraced, but unfortunately it's left me with ABSOLUTELY no time to do anything. Like read for recreation. I believe this semester I've read two full books for pleasure. THE ENTIRE SEMESTER! How depressing is that??

Currently I'm working on Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. It's so unbelievably addicting, just like all other John Green books. But unfortunately I've had to put it aside to read Ruined by Lynn Nottage for my theatre class tomorrow (it's a play, in case you didn't know). But back to my story complaints.

I really, really do want to get back to writing it, but I'm afraid that I won't have time until after school ends, and even then, I'm taking a summer class so I can be in the summer show at my college. NO TIME!!!

We'll see what happens this summer. I sincerely hope that I can get back to it, because, to be honest, I miss writing. I don't think I've made writing a priority since 8th grade or something truly horrendous like that. My great aunt would be so disappointed.

Harry Potter Related Thing: I'm thinking about reading Harry: A History, after I'm done with WGWG.
Current Song: Summer of '09 by ALL CAPS
Current Book: Ruined by Lynn Nottage

No comments:

Post a Comment